Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 2, 2010

results

We went to our followup appointment at MD Anderson today, and were hoping for pathology results from my surgery last Friday. The lab is still working on them, and they are not complete and reported. However, my surgeon called and spoke with the pathologist working on the case...The tissue was not free and clear of cancer cells unfortunately. The pathologist told her a preliminary determination that a "nest of cancer cells" were found. Basically what this means is that, outside of the tumor/cyst itself, cancer cells made their way into surrounding tissue. The surgeon can't just keep going back in and cutting and cutting with surgeries, so that's where radiation comes into play. Hopefully it will kill what cancer cells are remaining in that surrounding tissue near the site of the tumor itself that was removed. Sooooo it sounds like I'll be starting radiation sometime in the next month. My surgeon at MD Anderson will let me know when the path report is finalized and she has more details, which might be sometime next week. I will go see her for another followup in 2 weeks, so I feel like we'll know something for sure by then.

I was hoping that today she would walk in and say "There was nothing! This is over". However, I am not that surprised because cancer is such a tricky, complicated thing. I have felt somewhat discouraged today, BUT I know with God's help I will find peace and endurance to stick this out a little longer. There's just something unsettling about knowing cancer is in your body. It doesn't matter how big or small it is...you just don't want it there at all. I ask for continued prayers and encouragement because I believe that's what's gotten me this far.
I am confident my faith will conquer my fear (as I've read numerous times in cancer devotionals lately). As a sweet friend made the point today "Even if the doctors keep stacking the odds against you, it just means God will get to show His glory even more" (Thanks Suzanne!)

Love you all

3 comments:

The Benjamins said...

Try not to get discouraged! Still praying for all of you!

The Segrest Family said...

Praying for you and for your sweet family!

Mary Katherine

JordanandSaundersRamsey said...

Just another little bump in the road, that's all! You'll get there and one day soon enough, this will ALL be over!!! Hang in there! We love you!